Thursday, December 24, 2009

The Last Meeting ...

It had been 4 years today. On first thoughts, it felt like it was just yesterday, when they met each other and as he drove down to the florist to buy a bouquet for her, all the memories rushed back in his mind. He distinctly remembered the way they first met. After all, it was the same day, 4 years back.

That was one accident he didn’t regret at all, although he had a hairline fracture, it was worthwhile because that was the first time he had met her.

It was about 7 in the morning and he was going for his tuition classes. Standing at the traffic signal waiting for the lights to go green, he was casually glancing around, when he heard a loud scream accompanied by screeching of tires. And before he knew what was happening, he was on the ground with his bike over him. He turned around and was about to throw a volley of obscenities, when he saw a girl flat on the road with her scooty over her. She was carrying a couple of books and some flowers and was dressed like she was going somewhere important. As he got up pushing aside his bike, he saw the girl struggling to get up, tears running down her face. He felt a pang of guilt, not knowing why, and he went over to help her. Maybe the guilt was because he didn’t like to see the tears in her eyes. Her eyes were beautiful, dark and big. She had put some mascara too, which emphasized the size a bit more and as the tears ran down her eyes, the mascara left a dark trail all along her cheeks.

‘I’m sorry’, he said instinctively and what happened afterwards made him realize that he was in love. She gave him an innocent and confused look, tears still running down her face. Without saying a word she stood up and started gathering her things. While helping her, he saw a greeting card too, a birthday card.

‘I’m sorry’, he said again, ‘I spoiled your birthday.’

‘It’s not your fault, I couldn’t control my scooty. It’s me who should be sorry; I hope you are not hurt.’

‘No, I’m ok.’ I said but by then the pain had started to overpower all the other emotions. He saw one more rose lying on the road. He picked it up and handing it over to her, he said ‘Happy Birthday.’

She couldn’t help but smile and he realized that he had a crush on her. She invited him to her party in the evening and he obliged. Days went by and they fell deeper and deeper in love.

‘Here’s your change’, said the florist, pulling him back out of his memories. ‘Do you need a card over it?’

‘No, Thanks’, he said and walked out of the shop, heading to the destination of the meeting. It was just 5 mins walk from the florist’s shop. He reached quickly and walked directly to her.

‘Happy Birthday Sweetheart, how are you? It’s been so long since we last met but I’ve missed you with every passing day. I can’t tell you how I’ve desired to be by your side, to hold you and be close to you. I’ve missed your smile, your touch and your fragrance. It becomes difficult at times to stay away from you and I feel like crying but you know na, I’ve promised you that I would never cry. I love you honey’

Saying this he put the bouquet down over her grave and tears ran down his cheeks as he made the long walk back out of the gate.

13 comments:

Shraddha said...

its awwwwwwesome....!!! :) Bt 1 thin i don understand is y do ppl alwayssss die in ur stories... y cant der b happy endins...???
n u kno sumthin, dis story reminded me of ur accident wer u had fractured ur shoulder-bone.. n it reminded of another scooty accident aswel...;)u kno who's....!!!

Krishna said...

Interesting story & never read such type of story ever before.

Sunny said...

@Shraddha - Thanks, I know there's always a sad ending and I'm not sure why ... but they always end up like this only ... and which scooty accident are you talking about ?? dont really remember ... LOL ...

@Shri Krishna - I'll take that as a compliment ... thanks

Nethra said...

I was just wondering how she died. You should have told that in your story, but other than that it was very nice piece. :)

neil said...

Accidents...ya there r some accidents which really change lives,this is one of them.. ur stories r really good...but as shradhha said , we now need some happy endings from u...

Vibhuti Bhandarkar said...

nothing can be more jolting than death , isnt it! Dont make it a habit 2 write sordid stories....But u really have awesome penmanship!!! kudosss

Sunny said...

@Nethra - I could have, but then I do have a habit of keeping certain things untold, donno why, but would surely try and elaborate in the further stories. Thanks for the kind words.

@Neil - I'm really trying yaar, Just one more that I've already written, will try to give happy endings from the next one.

@Vibhuti - I agree, nothing compares that, I know I've been leaning a bit too much on it lately, as I said to Neil, just one more that I've already written ... then I'll surely write something different. Thanks :-)

Anonymous said...

nirali: its amazing...nice one..

subu.ps said...

Really touching.

The start of the story itself gave an indication that all is not well.

Karthik said...

Oh, man, such a morose one. I was smiling all through the reading, but the last paragraph left a lump in my throat.
Either ways, it's beautifully narrated. Kudos! :-)

Sunny said...

@Nirali, Subu - Thanks for leaving your footprints.

@Kartik - I hope to bring back the smile again sometime in the coming stories, thanks for reading and appreciating ..

Unknown said...

really really....
touching!!!

Tarang Sinha said...

A very nice story, as usual. If you don't mind I want to tell you that in this look of your blog it is difficult to read your creations properly.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails